Direct Connect Configure RR4 Remote Reader
Last updated: Aug 2021
This article outlines the process for configuring an RR4 Remote Reader using the NCSS mobile app. This allows an RR4 Remote Reader to be configured for one or two connected meters.
You must have the NCSS Mobile App on your mobile device to complete this process.
Configure a Remote Reader
Select the menu in the upper left corner. Under Tools, select Direct Connect
- Download the NCSS app from the Apple App Store or from the Android Google Play store.
- Open the app and select "Create Account".
- Submit your credentials and then select "Create Account".
- Select the activation link emailed to you to set up your password and finish your account creation.
- Sign in to the NCSS app using your new account.
The RR4 Remote Reader will show a gear icon to indicate that it is attempting to connect via Direct Connect.
The Remote Reader will appear on the Direct Connect page and can then be selected.
The RR4 Remote Reader's configuration settings will open. Make any necessary adjustments.
While configuring the Remote Reader, you can select whether you want the LCD to always display the meter read, or to be "Tap to Display".
"Tap to Display" is required for NTEP compliance when used with encoded water meters. After tapping, the meter will be polled and the very latest read will then display. If instead, the LCD was always on, then the meter is polled every hour.
Battery life is not affected by "Tap to Display" vs. "LCD Always On".
This only applies to the RR4-TR, and not the RR4 model. While configuring the Remote Reader, you can select "Rapid Check-In" This will prompt the Remote Reader to check in every 15 minutes for the next 4 hours. This can be useful during property installations in order to get quicker feedback, showing whether there is adequate Repeater and Gateway signal strength.
The pulse count can be reset by bridging the meter 1 or meter 2 pins as described on the RR4 FAQ. Alternatively, the pulse count can be reset using the Direct Connect tool. This option can be found by tapping on the Meter 1 or Meter 2 read. The meter status will display, and a "Reset Pulse Count" option can be toggled.
To program building and unit information via Direct Connect on the RR4-TR:
1. Select the "Program" option at the bottom of the RR4-TR configuration page.
2. Select the property name, building, and unit.
3. Select "Program to Unit" to associate the Remote Reader with the selected unit.
Changes will then appear on the RR4 Remote Reader.